Carolyn Bennett
Hon. Carolyn Bennett
Member of Parliament for Toronto—St. Paul's
How Do I . . .

Your Member of Parliament, as your elected federal representative, can assist you in many different ways. Please contact our constituency office if you need information or assistance in any of these areas:

Citizenship & Immigration

How do I find information about immigrating to Canada?
There are a number of different programs that allow you to immigrate to Canada permanently. To learn more about these programs and eligibility requirements, follow this link: Immigrating to Canada

How do I apply for Citizenship?
To learn how to apply for citizenship, follow this link: Citizenship

How do I apply for a temporary resident permit?
To learn how to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor, follow this link: Temporary Resident Visa.

How do I obtain a student permit or working permit?
To learn about obtaining a student visa, follow this link: Studying in Canada
To learn about obtaining a work visa: visit: Work Permits

How do I become a Canadian permanent resident?
To learn more about Canadian permanent residence, visit:  Permanent Residents

Do my friends and relatives require a visa to visit me in Canada?
To learn more about visitor’s visas, follow this link: Visitor Visa

Seniors & Retirement

Where can I find information and services that are relevant to seniors and people over 55?
Seniors Canada On-line provides access to information and services offered to seniors, their families, caregivers and supporting service organizations.

How do I apply for the Canadian Pension Plan retirement pension or other benefits under the plan?
Visit Social Development Canada (SDC) for information on Canada’s Retirement Income System. To learn more about this program, visit: The Canada Pension Plan.

How do I apply for the Ontario Old Age Supplement?
The Old Age Security (OAS) pension is a monthly payment available to most people 65 years of age and older who meet the Canadian legal status and residence requirements visit: Old Age Security

What is the  Guaranteed Income Supplement, and am I eligible to recieve it?
The Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) provides a monthly non-taxable benefit to Old Age Security (OAS) recipients who have a low income and are living in Canada. To learn more visit: Guaranteed Income Supplement

I am a veteran.  What services and programs are available to me?
There is a wide variety of services for Veterans and their families—programs to assist you after an injury, during the transition from military to civilian life, and many other services to help you and your family throughout your life. To learn more visit: Veteran’s Affairs Canada


Can I file my taxes on-line?
The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency offers electronic services to individuals and to businesses.

What is the child tax benefit? Am I eligible to receive it?
The Canada child tax benefit is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18.  To learn more, visit: Child Tax Benefit

Where can I find information on the Canada Pension Plan Disability benefit?
The disability benefit is a taxable monthly payment that is available to people who have contributed to the CPP and who are not able to work regularly at any job because of a disability. To learn more visit: Disability Benefit

Canada Post

How do I find a postal code on-line?
The Canada Post web site can help you properly address mail. Click here to search for a postal code.

I am having an issue with my mail service.  How do I contact Canada Post?
You can contact Canada’s Post customer service department through a variety of channels.  Follow the link to learn more: Canada Post

How do I contact the office of the Ombudsman at Canada Post?
The ombudsman is the final appeal authority in resolving customer complaints, including complaints regarding Canada Post’s compliance with the Canadian Postal Service Charter. You must first contact Canada Post Customer Service before appealing to the ombudsman. To contact the Ombudsman, visit: The Office of the Ombudsman at Canada Post.

Canadian Heritage

How am I able to research my family history?
The National Archives of Canada can get your started on tracing your family tree.

Where can I find information on the National Anthem: O Canada?
For the official lyrics of “O Canada” and the history of the National Anthem, click here.

Children & Students

What student loan programs are available to me?
Student Financial Assistance, including loans and grants, is available to eligible students through provincial, territorial and federal governments. Click here to find out more.

Where can I find information on Canadian universities?
Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Canadian Universities. Information about facilities, services and academic programs as well as links, expert information and statistics – it’s all here.


How do I apply for Employment Insurance (EI)?
Apply on-line or contact the EI section of Service Canada.

How do I find a job?
View the Government of Canada Jobs, Workers, Training & Careers web page.

How do I obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number used in the administration of various Canadian government programs. You will require a SIN to work in Canada or to receive government benefits.


Where can I find information about the Government of Canada?
Phone 1-800-O-Canada (1-800-622-6232) or visit

How do I replace lost ID cards?
The Government of Canada has a list of helpful hints on which agencies you should contact, and how to contact each one.

Health & Safety

Where can I find advisories on food, drugs, medical services, natural health products and consumer products?
Health Canada helps protect Canadians from potential health hazards by releasing warnings / advisories on food, drugs, medical devices, natural health products and consumer products.

Where can I find information on Public Safety in Canada?
Click here for up to date information on Public Safety in Canada.


Where can I obtain information about the Prime Minister? How do I contact the Prime Minister?
You can find information on the Prime Minister and the Cabinet Members by visiting

How can I obtain information on Canada’s Parliament?
The Parliamentary Internet web site, created and maintained jointly by the Senate, the House of Commons and the Library of Parliament, offers information on Canada’s Parliament.


How do I apply for a Passport?
If you are planning a trip abroad or even to the United States, it is extremely important to have a Canadian passport as proof of citizenship and residency in Canada. For information on how to obtain a passport, please visit one of the regional passport offices or download an application.

Note: Urgent or express services are available for emergency or compassionate reasons on a case-by-case basis. These services are available only for those applicants who can apply in person at a regional office and who provide proof to justify the urgency.

How do I get advice for international travellers?
View the Department of Foreign Affairs Travel Reports web page

I want to see more of Canada. Where should I go?
Find travel information relevant to Canada’s many beautiful attractions.

How can I plan to visit some of Canada’s National Parks and Historic Sites?
Parks Canada Vacation Planners assist you in planning a visit to Canada’s National Parks and National Historic Sites.

Other Government Questions?

Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions offered on the Government of Canada website.


Main office - Toronto
40 Holly Street, Suite 103
Toronto, Ontario
M4S 3C3


Show Map

Hill Office
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6


Show Map